DEAD LARGE BARRA KINCHANT AND TEEMBURRA :- several concerned people have contacted MAFSA about finding floating dead barra with no obvious signs of injury. Most likely poor handling killed them so please follow these guidelines
1. Use a large knotless landing net
2. Keep the fish in the water in the net while removing the lure
3. Have your camera/phone right ready
4. Wet your hands
5. Use a one hand lower jaw grip while the other supports the belly area
6. Hold the fish horizontally
7. Take a couple of quick pics
8. Put the fish back in the net in the water
9. Get your wet brag mat laid out on a wet towel or similar
10. Again use the supportive lift to put the fish on the wet brag mat
11. Quickly take your pics
12. Get the fish back in the water quickly
13. Swim the fish to revive it if necessary
Follow these steps and the fish should be out of the water for 1-2 minutes maximum and will have an excellent chance of survival.
These large barra a too valuable a resource to be killed by poor handling just for a photo. Just keep them and your hands etc wet, and keep time out of the water to absolute minimum.